Thursday, September 13, 2012

11 Years Later.



This beautiful sign was posted next to the World Trade Centrr memorial site. Even more beautiful? The policeman and fireman in their dress uniforms stationed around the site. People kept walking up and thanking them, shaking their hands. American flags adorned walls and fences around the construction area, and people weren't speaking. There was the occasional click of a camera, but mostly people just wanted to simply be there and take it all in. I wasn't there five minutes before my eyes began to well up with tears. It was chilling and it was beautiful. I couldn't really tell what emotion I was feeling; it was just very overwhelming to stand in that place. To stand where, if I'd been there exactly 11 years ago, I'd likely be dead. As I took pictures of the skyline where the Twin Towers once stood, a plane flying low passed by, disappearing behind a building. My body became very alert and I felt apprehensive. It was the strangest feeling. I found myself wondering how quickly I could get out of there, and I'd have been able to survive that day. But as I looked around and saw prayers of thanks, praise, sorrow, and confusion - spoken aloud or written on posters or stuck on the fence around Trinity Church, I saw God moving in the city and the country, even 11 years past a tragedy. Friends, God is good. And HE brings justice. And that is just the most amazing, peaceful thought out there for me today.


9/11 Memorial at night
9/11 Memorial at night - base


Guys, this was truly breathtaking. And emotional.on a level ive never experienced before. We were there with James from Australia (mentioned in my previous post) and he appreciated it, but it was just different. It was interesting to juxtapose a visitor that wanted to see the sight with a local New Yorker wanting a picture with the dog tags belonging to the father of her friend being deployed soon. We may have our problems, but I am so proud of my country. God bless America, indeed.
Freedom tower

No comments:

Post a Comment